DANGER ELECTRICAL SHOCK
Pinball machines have high voltages which can cause DANGER TO LIFE AND LIMB. TURN POWER OFF and UNPLUG PINBALL MACHINE prior to installation. Pinball machines are high voltage and can cause electrical shock.
SAFETY GLASSES are also recommended while working with or installing pinball parts.
Please follow these safety instructions as well as all installation instructions. Failure to follow these instructions may result in damage to the pinball machine, accessory or other parts. Please see our Disclaimer for associated risks and responsibilities (Section 13 in our Terms of Service) prior to installation.
Images included in these instructions are of an installed prototype and may vary from your product slightly.
If you have questions or concerns regarding the proper installation of this part, please contact us for assistance.
When removing screws from the playfield, reinstall by first turning them counter-clockwise to match the original groove in order to respect the integrity of the playfield wood.
Special thanks to Bob Huffman for his help in the testing and refinement of the target as well as for these detailed instructions.
- Lift playfield to fully upright position and disconnect 4 wire molex plug to coil on target assembly
- Disconnect 5 wire IDC connector on the opto board attached to the drop assembly.
- Remove four screws holding assembly to playfield and remove assembly.
- Remove 2 Phillips screws holding opto board to assembly.
- Remove top E clip, washers and spring, making note of the order removed. Remove bottom E clip.
- Remove spring from target to assembly frame.
- Remove old drop target and replace with new target. Replace spring between target and assembly frame. Reinstall E clips, washers, and spring in the order removed.
- Reinstall opto board with 2 Phillips screws.
- To install the target LED, remove the lower left nut below the target hole in the playfield and slide LED light mount over bolt and reinstall nut.
- Attach alligator clips to the flasher in the middle of the pop bumpers.
- Reinstall assembly with the 4 screws to the playfield. Reconnect molex and IDC connectors to coil and opto board.
- Check level of target top when in the dropped position to make sure it is level with the playfield. The replacement target is the same as the stock one, but it is a perfect time to adjust height if needed, as some do from the factory. The height is adjusted with the two screws located on the bottom of the drop target frame.
- Replace playfield to lowered position, replace balls, reinstall glass, power on!
As a side note, these targets are notorious for "false hits" and cycling quickly up and down on a single hit. This is caused by a couple of factors, and is NOT a problem with your new target. If you experience this issue as many ST owners have, there are two solutions. The best I feel is to add two thin washers under the plastic ledge that is bolted to the frame the target rests on when raised. This gives the target more area to grab and fixed the issue for me.
The other issue is that with the return spring on one side of the target, it tends to pull the sliding target that direction slightly and can hit the right screw head that holds the plastic shelf to the frame. Some file the head down or go for a flat head, but I found the washer solution works fine, and this is then not needed.
Copyright Mezel Mods- 2016. All rights reserved. Because stealing is wrong and mean.