DANGER ELECTRICAL SHOCK
Pinball machines have high voltages which can cause DANGER TO LIFE AND LIMB. TURN POWER OFF and UNPLUG PINBALL MACHINE prior to installation. Pinball machines are high voltage and can cause electrical shock.
SAFETY GLASSES are also recommended while working with or installing pinball parts.
Please follow these safety instructions as well as all installation instructions. Failure to follow these instructions may result in damage to the pinball machine, accessory or other parts. Please see our Disclaimer for associated risks and responsibilities (Section 13 in our Terms of Service) prior to installation.
Images included in these instructions are of an installed prototype and may vary from your product slightly.
If you have questions or concerns regarding the proper installation of this part, please contact us for assistance.
When removing screws from the playfield, reinstall by first turning them counter-clockwise to match the original groove in order to respect the integrity of the playfield wood.
For a video overview of how to remove and install new drop targets in a Stern Bank, check out this video.
- Prepare the necessary tools and work space for the installation. You will need the following:
- Needle nose pliers
- Small flat head screw driver
- Philips head screw driver
- 1/4" nut driver
- Flat work area, free of parts and clutter
- For installation you can use either the replacement decals or you can remove the target decals from your factory targets.
- Turn off your games power, remove the glass and pinballs. Lift the playfield into standing position.
- Locate the target bank in the middle of the playfield. Remove the board connector (shown in photo). You can gently use the small flat head screw driver to help pry the connector off the pins.
- Unplug solenoid wiring harness and the board connector
- Utilize the 1/4" nut driver to detach target bank mechanism from playfield. Place bank on a workspace, clear from clutter and with ample room.
- Utilize a Philips screwdriver to remove the board from the target bank.
- With the board removed, snap a quick photo of the bank from the side to aid in reassembling the parts in the correct order (a good practice to get into when taking pinball mechanisms apart).
- Beginning with one target, remove the spring attaching the target to the bank.
- Utilize the small flat headed screw driver to carefully pry the c/e clip from the target, holding your and over the clip to ensure it doesn't spring off and become misplaced.
- Remove all parts from first target and place in the following order (this is very helpful for reinstallation):
- Repeat above steps for all three targets.
- Take the target decals (either remove from stock targets or use replacement decals) and attach to the replacement targets.
- Install targets, one at a time, beginning with part labeled 1 in the step 11. To reinstall the c/e clip, utilize the needle nose pliers to push the clip back on to the post, using your fingers to guide the clip back into place. Repeat for each target. Reattach springs to each target. Double check your reassembly to the photo taken in step 8.
- Reattach board on top of targets.
- Reattach target bank to playfield, using hex driver. Attach solenoid wiring and board wiring (see photos in step 5).
- Utilize the hex nut driver to remove the lower most GI bulb assembly.
- Remove the factory bulb by pushing down and twisting. Install the replacement bulb, adjusting dome so that it is close to bayonet. Reattach GI bulb assembly to playfield.
- Remove the adhesive backing and install the target bracket with the LED facing toward the bank. Be sure sufficient clearance exists between target and bracket. Firmly press on the target to activate the adhesive.
- Lower playfield, turn on game power and test target bank either via game play or using your games diagnostics menu.
Installation is complete.