These instructions are applicable to the following products:
DANGER ELECTRICAL SHOCK
Pinball machines have high voltages which can cause DANGER TO LIFE AND LIMB. TURN POWER OFF and UNPLUG PINBALL MACHINE prior to installation. Pinball machines are high voltage and can cause electrical shock.
SAFETY GLASSES are also recommended while working with or installing pinball parts.
Please follow these safety instructions as well as all installation instructions. Failure to follow these instructions may result in damage to the pinball machine, accessory or other parts. Please see our Disclaimer for associated risks and responsibilities (Section 13 in our Terms of Service) prior to installation.
Images included in these instructions are of an installed prototype and may vary from your product slightly.
If you have questions or concerns regarding the proper installation of this part, please contact us for assistance.
When removing screws from the playfield, reinstall by first turning them counter-clockwise to match the original groove in order to respect the integrity of the playfield wood.
This article describes the parts included in the DIY kit. The kit can be used to turn any existing 6v product into an interactive product.
The kit uses a light sensor that is placed under the desired trigger source so when the trigger light is on, the product turns on.
The kit can be used to convert existing 'always on' GI products to 'interactive' products.
The key elements of the kit are as follows:
- Light Sensor: this sensor is placed close to a trigger light (an insert, flasher, etc) in order to turn on the desired product/mod. It should be placed as close to the trigger light as possible to avoid light from other LEDs to trigger the sensor.
- Power Connection: the power connection is used to attach to the replacement GI bulb; this connection to the GI provides the power for the product and the board
- 36" wiring: the wiring harness can be used to run from the board out to the desired product.
- Sensitivity adjustment: this is used to adjust how sensitive the sensor is to the source light (see below for details)
- Product Connection: Use this connector to run the wiring from your product into the board. This connection requires a female JST.
- GI Replacement Bulb: Use this bulb in place of the factory GI bulb; attach the connector from the light sensor board to this light
- Sensor Bracket: use this bracket to secure the light sensor to the playfield; it has a hole for use with factory hardware as well as an opening for the sensor to be secured (not shown in photo). The tape provided can be used to attach this bracket if no screw is readily available near the source light.
Additional accessories for this product can be purchased from Comet Pinball including additional wiring as well as LEDs that run on the Matrix connector system.
Light Sensitivity Adjustments
Once the ILS board is installed you may find that the output light may have some ghosting (slightly lit at all times) or that it isn't lighting bright enough. This is where the sensitivity adjustment comes into play.
Take great care when adjusting the ILS sensitivity screw, it is a small delicate item. It is best to do these adjustments with the power off for safety. Turning the adjustment clockwise will make the sensor less sensitive to light, and counter-clockwise more sensitive to light. If the output light is staying lit when the signal LED is off (ghosting), turn the adjustment a hair clockwise and test again, repeat until the desired effect is achieved. This may result in a slightly dimmer output light if over
The goal is to have as bright a light as possible without any ghosting.If the output light is too dim, turn the adjustment counter-clockwise a hair and re-test, repeat until the controlled
light is bright, and has no ghosting.